Acuity Brands Residential
California Energy Compliance:
Title 24 and Title 20
California Title 24
- Title 24 (T24) of the California Code of Regulations sets forth California’s Energy Efficiency Standards for Residential and Nonresidential Buildings.
- It is California’s Energy Code and part of the California Building Standards Code, covering new construction of, and additions and alterations to, residential and nonresidential buildings.
- Since California Title 24 is a building design code, in general, lighting products do not have a product-level compliance path.
- Certification to and/or compliance with California Title 24 requirements is not required to sell product in California but compliance with the design code is required for new construction and major renovation projects.
- The California Energy Commission updates the Building Energy Efficiency Standards every three years.
Acuity Brands T24 Compliant Residential Products
Acuity Brands lighting products provide energy saving, lighting solutions that meet California Title 24 requirements for high efficacy lighting as required in Joint Appendix 8 (JA8) for interior and outdoor applications for single family and multi-family residential dwellings.
Listed below are general product categories and featured products. Visit the California Energy Commission website for a complete listing of Acuity Brands T24 JA8 certified products.
California Title 20
California Code of Regulations, Title 20 (T20), Sections 1601–1608 are efficiency appliance standards, which restrict the sale of non-compliant product within the state of California, including e-commerce distribution channels. Regulated products must be certified and must appear in the California Energy Commission’s (CEC) appliance efficiency database prior to sale in California.
Acuity Brands lighting products listed in the brochure below are regulated in California, meet the T20 energy efficiency standards set by the CEC and are certified in the CA T20 Appliance Efficiency Database or Modernized Appliance Efficiency Database System (MAEDBS).
Who should follow the California Energy Code?
Products meet applicable California Title 20 and/or Title 24 JA8 requirements; lists products in MAEDbS.
Retail / Distributor
Sells product that is listed in MAEDbS as meeting applicable California Title 20 and Title 24 JA8 requirements.
Includes in specifications and design documents that all specified lamp and luminaire products are appropriately listed in MAEDbS for the specified installation.
Installs lamp and luminaire products that are appropriately listed in the MAEDbS for the installed use.
AHJ (Building Department)
Verifies that residential products use JA-marked products and that all other permitted lighting projects provide forms to demonstrate compliance.
For permitted residential projects, installed lamp and luminaire products must be clearly marked JA8.