Classroom lighting has the potential to do more than simply brighten a space and improve ability to see. Research indicates that well-planned classroom lighting solutions may have a positive influence on learning and well-being.
As we work to make classroom lighting smarter and better for the learning environment, tunable LED lighting, intuitive controls and daylight harvesting are all part of our lesson plan.
In choosing the best lighting for classrooms, important considerations include visual acuity, student comfort, energy efficiency, reduced maintenance costs and increased flexibility. To meet those needs, Acuity Brands can provide a networked system of lighting and controls designed to work seamlessly together.
In planning the ideal setting, keep these factors in mind:
- Modern classrooms are continually evolving spaces; the lighting should be able to adapt to changing needs.
- The best solutions allow lighting to be aligned with activities and to provide behavior cues to students.
- LED lighting and control solutions can improve visual comfort and reduce energy consumption compared to traditional lighting.
- Improved visual acuity and comfort can help students focus on learning.
- Many factors, including classroom technology such as presentation screens and interactive whiteboards, can affect lighting requirements.
- Easy and intuitive classroom lighting control stations allow teachers to instantly change lighting based on the current activity or task.
- Integrated sensors can harvest daylight by regulating the output of classroom light fixtures to supplement, not overpower, available sunlight.